- Frying Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Medium Pot
- 12 Oz Sablefish (black cod) 2 Pieces
- 3/4 Inch Ginger Cut into 1/4 inch coins.
- 1 Tbsp Peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Orange Zest The zest of half an orange.
- 1 Cup Sake
- 1/2 Cup Mirin
- 3 Tbsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash Diced into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Pinches Chili Flakes
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice The juice of about one lemon.
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Cooked Lentils
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1/4 Cup Peas
- 1/4 Cup Stock
- To make the Sake brine, start by toasting the peppercorns. Then add mirin, sake, ginger coins, orange zest, and 1 ½ tsp of salt. Bring to medium heat, just enough to dissolve the salt. Let completely cool before adding the sablefish. Brine the sablefish for a minimum of 2 hours. The longer the brine, the stronger the flavor. Before cooking, you will want to air dry your fish and score the skin for best results.
- Preheat your oven to 380 degrees F.Dice 1 medium sized butternut squash into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss with olive oil, chiliflakes, and 3 pinches of salt and place on a baking sheet or oven-safe pan. Roast the butternut squash until soft to touch. Combine squash, coconut milk, cumin, lemon juice, and salt-to-taste in blender. Blend until smooth. Add water, as needed, until you reeach your desired consistency.Then add a knob of butter to finish.
- Start with fully cooked quinoa and lentils, approximately 1 cup each. Add to medium sized sauce pot. Add ¼ cup of desired stock to bring to full heat with ½ cup green peas. Salt to taste.
- Start with a ripping hot pan. Salt both sides of fish. Add generous amount of cooking oil. Once the oil has heated, add the brined fish, cook long enough to crisp skin slightly. Flip fish and finish in the oven at 380 degrees. When finished, pull fish out of the oven and place on moderate heat. Add 2 Tbsps of butter and garlic cloves and baste until happy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! #possrecipe