For the special sauce
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup Chili Sauce
- ⅓ cup Sweet Pickle Relish
- 2 cloves Garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
For the quick-pickled red onions
- ½ medium red onion sliced
- ½ cup seasoned rice vinegar enough to cover the onions
For the burgers
- 1 lb Rockfish cut into 4 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 tbsps corn starch
- 2 eggs whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ - 1 cup high heat oil for pan frying
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 pieces Green leaf or red leaf lettuce
- 4-8 slices Tomato
- sliced pickles
- 4 Pub buns or brioche buns buttered and toasted if you prefer
- Mix together mayonnaise, chili sauce, sweet pickle relish, garlic, soy sauce and black pepper.
- Set aside.
Quick Pickled Red Onions
- Add the sliced red onions to a 16 ounce jelly jar or a glass bowl and cover with the rice vinegar.
- Let them hang out for about 15 minutes or so, while you're preparing the fish.
- Store the remaining pickled onions in a covered glass jar or container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Preparing the fish
- Heat a large skillet over medium or medium low heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Set up three plates or bowls, one with corn starch, one with the egg wash, and one with panko.
- While the oil is heating, season the fish pieces with salt and pepper and then dust them in the corn starch.
- When the oil is hot but not smoking, dip the fish pieces in the egg wash and then the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place them gently in the skillet and let each piece cook until golden-brown on both sides. (You may need to adjust the heat to low if your fish browns too quickly.) Should take about 3-4 minutes cook time on each side of the fillet.
- Once your fish is done, transfer it to a fish rack over a baking sheet or plate, or a paper towel lined plate. Top with the provolone cheese. This will give the cheese time to melt a bit.
- Spread a little butter on the inside of each bun and then toast them lightly in the oven.
- Once toasted, add special sauce to each side of the bun. Place a provolone topped fish filet on the bottom bun. Layer with sliced onions, lettuce, tomato, and pickles.
- Skewer with party pics or toothpicks to keep everything together prior to serving. Serve immediately
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! #possrecipe